Winter Solstice 108 OM Meditation
Sunday, December 21st * 6:00-7:00pm * FREE
Join us as we unite as a community together to welcome the change of seasons and the return of light on this auspicious day. We will chant 108 OM’s together, in unison, followed by a short meditation. Come as you are – no experience is necessary and you will be guided along by Therese.
Winter Solstice marks the first day of winter and the shortest day of the year. Celebrated by cultures across the globe for more than 6,000 years, it signifies the return of light and with it, life. In the northern hemisphere, the December solstice occurs during the coldest season of the year. Although winter was regarded as the season of dormancy, darkness and cold, the coming of lighter days after the winter solstice brought on a more festive mood. To many people, this return of the light was a reason to celebrate that nature’s cycle was continuing.
108 has long been considered a sacred number in Hinduism and yoga, and is also meaningful on so many levels, including these:
- 108 energy lines intersect in the Heart Chakra
- The diameter of the Sun is 108 times the diameter of the Earth
- The distance from the Sun to the Earth is 108 times the diameter of the Sun
- There are said to be 108 Indian goddess names
- Some say there are 108 feelings: 36 related to the past, 36 related to the present, 36 related to the future
- Some also say that if one is able to be so calm in meditation as to have only 108 deep breaths in a day, enlightenment will come.. and more!
The Power of Chanting Om
- The chanting of Om drives away all worldly thoughts and removes distraction and infuses new vigor in the body.
- When you feel depressed, chant Om fifty times and you will be filled with new vigor and strength. The chanting of Om is a powerful tonic. When you chant Om, you feel you are the pure, all pervading light and consciousness.
- Those who chant Om will have a powerful, sweet voice. Whenever you take a stroll, you can chant Om. You can also sing Om in a beautiful way. The rhythmic pronunciation of Om makes the mind serene and pointed, and infuses the spiritual qualifications which ensure self-realization.
- Those who do meditation of Om daily will get tremendous power. They will have luster in their eyes and faces.